Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Unprepared

Today was our first true snowfall in Pittsburgh and I came to realize how unprepared I was for Levi to play outside.  No snowsuit, no true boots, no mittens, no good 'wear under a hood' hat.  We were going to Target anyways this morning, so I decided to look there.  Nothing.  Walmart?  Nothing. --Although I did finally find a good hat for him there yesterday, so they're not completely on my bad list.  Once Upon A Child?  Yes!  There were two suits.  I bought both because I really couldn't have him try them on in the store.  I'm the queen of returns, so I'll just take one back.  We're still without mittens and good boots, but I don't think he'll miss playing outside today. 
We're having to discipline more, now that Levi is up and walking and exploring.  It's so easy to get frustrated and raise my voice, which is a nice way of saying 'yell.'  I try so hard not to do that, but my impatience definitely gets the best of me sometimes.  There are at least a handful of times during the day when I'm unprepared for what to do.  He actually is a pretty good little boy.  Just a typical 17-month old.
Tim and I see the importance of boundaries and consistency.  We've had to smack a bum or a hand here and there, but it's always followed by a reassurance that 'mommy loves you, but you have to listen.'
I don't want to come across as sounding like this whole discipline thing is easy and logical.  Because as soon as I start to believe that, Levi will throw a curve ball and we'll be back to square one.
He's definitely becoming his own little person now and is very expressive.  He's caught on with a few signs (please/more, cup, eat) and that makes things a little easier.  I had no idea he was paying attention when I started that a number of months ago.  I figured he wasn't into it, so we stopped.  Then all of a sudden he started "saying" please/more.  That's actually two separate signs, but we combine them. :-)
Levi enjoys being affectionate and gives lots of kisses. 
Thankfully for mommy (and daddy, too-only not as much since he's at work), Levi has been sleeping and napping very well.  (I shouldn't be typing this right now because he is currently napping and I don't want to jinx myself.)  He's down to one afternoon nap.  That gives us the morning for errands, etc.
Each day is a new adventure and I continue to realize how much more I have to learn about this whole parent thing. :-)
Our little monster

Playing with Aunt Katie

Still wanting to play outside despite the freezing temps

No comments:

Post a Comment